The search for metals has long been part of the history of Constantine and there is plenty of evidence of mediaeval workings. The main metals found were copper, iron ore, tin, silver and minute quantities of gold.
The principal mines in the area were:
Brogden Iron Mine
Also called Inow Mine, Brogden lies alongside the Port Navas road at Merry Meeting to the left of the Calmansac Gate.
A very small copper mine in the Trenarth Valley just south of Roskilling.
This little mine is situated in the valley bottom on the Nanjarrow side of the Ponjeravah stream.
Named after Miss Caroline Scott of Trewardreva, Wheal Caroline is situated in the woodland know locally as Little Gilly mid way between the church and Trengilly Farm. Miss Caroline turned the first sod in about 1850 and the main working took place in that decade.
Worked mainly for copper and a little tin, Wheal Vyvyan is situated on land owned by Sir Richard Vyvyan of Trelowarren, from whom it took its name. The main working here took place from 1827 until closure in 1864. About 80 men were employed underground and some 30 men and boys at the two stamps; near Ponjeravah and at Polwheveral. A dozen ‘Bal Maidens’ were also employed breaking the copper ore which was sent to Swansea for smelting.
Wheal Anna Maria
Named after Anna Maria Pender of Budock Vean on whose land it stood, this old mine was worked from 1833 until it fell into disuse at the end of the century. The two lodes, lying at the head of Port Navas Creek (now called Anna Maria Creek), contained rich copper, combined with silver and tiny traces of gold.