Constantine Cornwall

Clever Use of Recycling Rebuilds Tremayne Quay

The National Trust have recently completed some sensitive repairs to Tremayne Quay on the Helford River. The quay was built in the 1840s by Sir Richard Vyvyan for a visit by Queen Victoria, this royal visit being the impetus for planting of beech into the woods at this time too. She never actually came, but her great grandson Edward Duke of Windsor, favoured the quay with a belated visit in 1921 when he was Prince of Wales.

The Quay has stood up to the passage of time fairly well, but the eastern side of it has always been a weakness, and the sea had worked out some of the main facing stones. The recent repairs, kindly funded by many individual donations, have seen substantial rebuilding on the eastern quay.

Some of the large granite coping stones were recycled from Mullion Harbour (where winter 2014 storm damage has been repaired in concrete for added strength) and the new metal mooring posts on the quay were recycled from the broken Mullion Harbour railings.

At the same time the Trust improved the parking area opposite the entrance to Tremayne, using stone from a cliff fall at Lizard Point – another bit of nifty recycling!

Wed like to take this opportunity to thank everyone who contributed to the appeal to fund the quay repairs, which should see the quay in good stead for years to come. The quay is a popular stop for walkers and boaters alike, and a much loved picnic location.

In a similar vein, weve recently completed some repairs to the retaining wall at the head of Carne Creek, which edges the tidal path out to the woodland at Tregithey. The same 2014 storms that pounded Mullion Harbour and washed away the beach steps at Kynance scoured a hole in the stone wall.

Anna Lydford