Constantine Cornwall

RNAS Culdrose

Lawson Tickell, Business and Visits Manager at RNAS Culdrose related the station history to members of Constantine History Group at their March meeting.

Culdrose, named after one of the farms previously located on the site, was established in 1947 following a survey and selection in 1942 as the Royal Navy second air station in Cornwall. The base is also known as HMS Seahawk but at the time of its opening HMS Chough was also considered, however, this bird species was becoming very rare.

Lawson set the development in context of the history of flight in the Royal Navy, which dates back to 1909. The first Naval airfield on the Lizard area was the airship base at Mullion during World War 1.

Initially planes involved in anti submarine warfare were based at Culdrose but by the late 1950s they were being replaced by helicopters, which could carry loads, move people, undertake air sea rescue as well as conducting antisubmarine warfare.

Culdrose today provides training for air-crew, observers, engineers, fighter pilots and deck crew. A current focus is training in readiness for the introduction of the new aircraft carriers.

The next meeting will be held on October 20th at 19.15 in the WI Hall at Constantine.
Peter Searle will speak on ‚ The Legacy of a Falmouth Family, the story of Falmouth greatest photographic dynasty.

Don Garman Hon Sec.